Saturday, August 29, 2009

Things That Make You Go Woo

I accidentally participated in a marathon this morning.

Ok, fine. It was a half-marathon.

Ok, fine. I was on my bike.

All morning long, I kept hearing faint "woo's" outside my window. Since it was freezing*, and my 60 year-old windows don't exactly shut well, I assumed it was the wind. I tried my best to ignore and get ready for work.

Being overly pleased with myself that I was ready for work EARLY, I grabbed my bike and headed outside with a huge smile on my face. A smile that was quickly slapped off by the wind**.

Oddly enough, I could still hear woo, but it wasn't coming from the breeze. As I headed towards the main roads, the woo's became louder and louder. Then, in one right-turn, I suddenly found myself surrounded by red-faced runners, with numbers on their shirts.

I tried my best to stay out of their way. Sadly, no spectators provided me with a woo.

Fortunately for me, the intimidating traffic cops were only mean to cars, and we're beyond helpful to me (and, let's be honest, my ridiculous predicament that only I could have managed to get into).

I suppose it's better than the last time I found myself surrounded by runners. On a particularly "rough" morning, we went to Mickies for grease and coffee, to find ourselves surrounded by marathoners who we carboloading for an entirely different reason.
[I love that I have just woken up, and they had already run 26.2 miles***]

However, I'm about to toot my own horn (and I imagine it to be something like a trumpet), I will give myself props and announce that I'm attempting to ride 6 miles tomorrow (before work). However, it says you can stop and start whenever you want, so we'll see if I get past .05

Wish me luck!

p.s. mom, stop buying me orange. I had on an orange sweatshirt while riding an orange bike. You couldn't decipher between me and the construction barrels marking the race path.

*50 degrees in August. COME ON WISCONSIN, SERIOUSLY!?!?
**it also made a yo-mama joke, punched me in the stomach, and then laughed at me as I hugged myself and cried.
***but you know what, I bet I drank waaay more than them the night before, so HA

1 comment:

Amandasaurus said...

Hahaha this reminds me of the time my friend got stuck behind a parade float that was taking up all two lanes of the highway.

And YES, this sudden August tundra is not okay! One day it's 95 and humid, the next it's 55 and pouring rain! DAMMIT NEW ENGLAND!