Monday, August 3, 2009

Perfect Day.

My birthday was this past weekend. In the past, I've dreaded my birthday. Not really sure why, it just always seems anticlimactic. Even as a youngin, I used to think, "My God, another year of my life is over, wasted!" (I was very dramatic).

However, last year, I was on a cruise on my bday. It was fantastic! I decided then and there, that no birthday would ever be as great, and I would just stop having them.

I was wrong though, because this year's couldn't have been more wonderful! (I hope it means that it sent a precedent for all future bdays)

It started with me awaking to an apartment festooned with balloons! Husband and I went to the Come Back Inn for brunch. We enjoyed $1 mimosas & bloody mary's, and the rudest waitress I have ever encountered. It was almost laughable. She never once introduced herself, and when she found it it was my birthday her exact words were, "Well, good for you." Yes, snarky waitress, good for me indeed!

Afterwards, we went back to open presents. I received lots of goodies, including some new clothes, rubber spatulas (i really needed some!), and my very own bocce ball set.

For the afternoon, we decided to go to the "beach" (on the lake), and Husband suggested we pick up some champagne first.

We stopped at Trader Joe's to get a bottle, but I was very confused because TJ doesn't have chilled champagne and I wasn't about to drink it warm. We get in the store, and I start walking around, picking-up some extra items I wanted. Husband walks up to the manager, and they talk very hush-hush for a moment. The manager goes to the back, where husband explains that they have a chilled bottle waiting for us. Confused, I wait for the mgr to return. He hands Husband the bottle, and they both look at each other, then at the products in my hands, then back at each other. After a moments hesitation, the mgr says, "don't worry about it, just take the stuff."
Then comes a very awkward couple of minutes where I figure out that Husband has already paid for the champagne, but I can't figure out why or how. Not wanting to be a clepto, I put the rest of my items back on the shelf, and we head out the door.

Only find a shiny new bike waiting for me outside!! I was flabbergasted. I know I had asked for a bike, but I wasn't expecting such a nice one, nor did i think it would be bestowed upon me at a grocery store :)

I was in shock. Husband said it's the only time he's ever seen me at a loss for words (which I think was music to his ears). All I could muster out of my mouth was, "oijhdflhwebg".

It's beautiful....and very orange:) I'm adjusting to the color. My mom said it's so that everyone will see me coming and I won't get hit, which sounds good to me. All I can say is, Thanks mom and dad!! (and Husband and TJ's manager for all your sneakery)

I think my favorite part so far is all the accessories. It has a wicker basket in the front, a little bell, and (the best part) a cup holder! You know you're a casual rider when you need a cupholder for your coffee instead of a water bottle holder.

I rode it to the beach, ringing my little bell the entire time. After a glorious and relaxing 3 hours at the beach, I rode home, only to find that I had burned myself a bit and was doing a magnificent impression of a candy cane.

Being famished from the day, we enjoyed a delicious cake that Husband baked all by himself! (See, miracles can happen!)

We had planned on pf chang's for dinner, but at the last minute chose red robin. It was festive, and the singing was utterly humiliating for the birthday girl (which I think was Husband's goal).

We had planned on mini-golfing afterwards, but were too stuffed/content/exhausted. So we headed home, promising ourselves a rain check and that we would go in a couple weeks.

It was a perfect day. I couldn't have asked for anything better.

And now, pictures!


my new baby, waiting for me a trader joe's with roses in the basket!


Me holding the yummy champagne


Delicious Success, compliments of Chef Husband


the fancy, website version of my bicycle. I will definitely get noticed on this puppy.

3 comments:

amber said...

I love your bike!

Great color!!

Caity said...

Your bike is awesome! I also adore the color. Happy Birthday!

I stopped by at the recommendation of Amber. :)

Shellbell said...

thank you both!

And Caity, welcome! Stop by anytime :)