Saturday, August 29, 2009

It's Not Easy Being Green

Admittedly, when I first moved here, the sight of all this environmental friendliness was blinding. I mean really, all this solar panels and Prius' were almost enough to make a girl buy a hummer and vote republican (...almost).

Early on, I switched to compact florescent bulbs as a minuscule attempt to appease the [carbon footprint conscious] masses. (I was hoping to avoid a tar and feathering, but they're so dang nice around here it's more like a 30 minute lecture and pamphlet-ing)

I was more than pleased to keep my SUV. But over the course of this past year, I've found i drive less and less. Now that I have a bike, I use that as my first method of transport, bus second*, car last.

I've been cultivating the thought (for awhile now) that we could definitely survive with just one car. Unfortunately, I've also been told (multiple, multiple times) that Husband intends on never (ever) getting rid of his "baby" (aka-car).

HOWEVER! if he ever does get a large dose of "save a polar bear"-itis, then here is my utopia of transportation:

My Bike (of course)

seriously mom, stop buying me orange PLEASE


a VESPA!!!



And a toyota camry hybrid

that's right, I said hybrid...this is me, JUMPING on the bandwagon. woop, woop.

Oh dear lord, I'm one fair-trade outfit away from being a madisonite.** Guess I better start buying local and acting accepting towards others...

*i use Husband's free student bus pass, yo.
**madisonian? madisonese?

2 comments:

amber said...

you are lovely in orange & so cordinated!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh. Love that bike!!!