Saturday, August 8, 2009

No...I'M RIGHT!

grrr.

When Husband wanted to quit his job and go back to grad school. I knew we'd be poor. Technically, we've never been anything but poor. But I knew that for the next two years, I'd have to be the breadwinner and our bread would need to be generic and stale. And I agreed. I also knew that when Husband's job ended for the summer we'd be even poorer. And I agreed. It's ok, i decided. I can eat ramen, and live with "borrowed" internet. We're both making sacrificies right?
and regarding the borrowed internet, it hasn't worked in 3 days, and I'm sitting at a park that offers free wifi just to type this. Unfortunately, it also offers me as an "all you can eat buffet" to the mosquitoes that are currently hovering overhead.

Well, for my birthday, my wonderful mother-in-law gave a some cash. Nothing substantial, but enough for me to buy something I wouldn't normally be able to. [Sidenote: you know you're getting old when you open your birthday cards, and no more checks fall out]

I decided I wanted to put the cash towards a digital camera. It would cover about half the cost, and I could definitely pay for the rest. I mean, that's why we have a savings account right? To buy things that aren't an everyday expense, right?

[I'd like to stop for a moment and address my parents, who are inevitably asking themselves, "what the hell happened to the camera we got you for christmas?" And my answer this, I am going to adopt the military's don't ask, don't tell policy...but if you must know, it went out with us on St. Patty's Day, never to return home. (which makes whoever found it a jerk, b/c I had my name and phone number in the camera case!) Sorry guys, I win the ungrateful daughter award.]

Anyway, I set out the other day, still in the "it's my birthday and I get to be extravagant" mood. I get my eyebrows waxed (with a coupon), i get my oil change (AND pay for husband's oil change too), and I'll be damned if I'm not gonna get a new camera.

Then starts Captain Cheapskate (aka-Husband) with the "Do we really need one right now? Shouldn't we wait until I'm working again? blah.blah.blah" Finally, I give in. I don't buy a camera that day, and resign myself to wait a little longer.

[Parents: I also had this great plan to buy the exact one you got me so that you'd be none the wiser]

So ok, it's been a few days, I still have no camera. I still really want one, but am will to wait until our finances are a little more secure.

But THEN, Husband gets a call from his friends tell him that it's almost Draft Day for their Fantasy Football League. Does he hesitate in the slightest to fork his share of the pot to play fantasy football? THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY THAT IT WOULD HAVE COST ME FOR MY CAMERA!!! nooooo, of course not. Because that's not a frivolous expenditure. Who needs a digital camera when you have a cell phone with 1/18th of a megapixel quality camera?

The point: I'm skeeved

Husband is currently on hour 1,000 of "lets take FOREVER to pick our players" THAT DON'T EVEN MATTER BECAUSE IT'S NOT REAL. spoiler alert: Guys, it's fake. You aren't a team owner, nor are you a coach, and actually, you can't even play football
............................................................................................................................

The real lesson in all this (gentleman), is make sure your fantasy football draft day doesn't fall on one of your wife's "3 irrational days per month"...

3 comments:

Rachel said...

OOooooohhhhhhhh....oh no. I don't even know what to say, other than I'm sorry, Shelley!

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO JOHN!!!! I BELIEVE IN YOU!!! LOVER ERin

amber said...

I would be angry