Friday, June 26, 2009

I'm Hot Blooded, Check it and See

Being a Southern Girl, I always rolled my eyes whenever people from the north complained about the heat. "Yeah right," I'd think, "I dare to spend ONE day in the South....wimp"

I guess I've joined the dark side because IT'S TOO EFFING HOT!!!!!

However, here's why I think my complaint is justified:

I HAVE NO AIR CONDITIONING!!!

When we picked out our cute pint-size apartment last year, we assumed, "No big deal. We're from the south, we can handle the summers here. I mean, how bad can it get?"

Well, it's been in the 90s. And 92 degrees outside means 92 degrees in my living room.

This past weekend, it was too hot to function. I went to a movie by myself, just to be in the air conditioning for 2 hours. Playing tennis at noon was more refreshing than being in the house (and as a redhead, I was always taught to fear the outdoors between 11a-3p, less I turn into a bright red lobster). I couldn't wait for weekend to be over, so I could go back to work, where it is a comfortable 68 degrees.

We went to home depot to "price" ac units, which basically consisted of us walking around saying, "yep, there's no way we can afford one." Afterwards, we "tested" the patio furniture display, while enjoying the ac and prolonging going home as much as possible...

It's getting ridiculous. We currently own 2 fans, and just carry them with us from room to room. I've put off buying more fans because I'd rather spend the money on an ac unit (sure, circulated air is better, but it's still hot air). And John doesn't want to purchase an ac unit because, "it's only for 2 more months. We can survive, it's not that bad." (which is french for: I'm a big cheapskate and I'd rather suffer than spend money and be comfortable...and please note he had no problem spending the money when it came to the new tv)

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. But I know one thing for sure, a ninety degree apartment, with a super hot computer in my lap is NOT an option. Ugh.

2 comments:

amber said...

I live "up north" and one summer we had no air conditioner and it was the hottest summer ever 60 consecutive days of 100+ weather.

We survived, but I would never choose to suffer like that again. ;)

Shellbell said...

Geez! I definitely wouldn't have survived that!