Thursday, June 11, 2009

My Everest

My quality of life would be greatly improved if I had a washer and dryer.

I never knew how lucky I was in the past... I also never knew two people could go through so many clothes!!!!

Only once before have I lived without a w/d combo. It hardly mattered, right next door to my apartment was a laundromat that included tv, couches, vending machines, and free wifi!

Since I was too broke to afford internet in my apt, it was perfect. I actually looked forward to doing my laundry so that I could lazily surf the net for a couple hours....my clothes had never been cleaner :)

I naively assumed that all laundromats were like this...oh how wrong I was.

We do have a w/d set in the creepy basement of our apt, but I never have quarters, and the machines are so ancient, they barely work.

So instead I generally opt to go to the laundromat. Not wanting to have to take several trips... I tend to let the clothes pile up for weeks before I eventually wrestle them into laundry bags, lug them down the stairs, and drag them to my car.

We live right by UW, so there are a ton of 'mats to choose from. I prefer to avoid the campus ones though because they are a complete rip-off.

I go to where they have the best machines for the cheapest amount of money...otherwise known as the ghetto.

The moment I pull into the parking lot I get stared at. I park my new(ish) suv next to the colorful 1970's impalas... and it's like playing the Highlights game "Which one does not belong?"

Once I get my 500lbs of clothes inside the door, I am serenaded by the soothing sounds of the spanish speaking radio station.

I am definitely the only anglo-saxon that goes to this particular laund-o-rama. But it's kind of fun. It's like going to the United Nations. I hear a menage of different languages and see all kinds of "traditional cultural apparel".

Oh, and the utter joy i get from all the children! "Let's bring them to the laundromat! And better yet, let's not provide them with any activities or toys!" No worries, The other visitors will get such joy from seeing your kids running around screaming, crawling into the dryers, and trying to take random items off people's folding tables.

All grievances aside, I climbed my Everest:



Yes sir, in a mere 2 hours (aka-8 screaming children) I washed every piece of dirty clothing in our house...only to come home and have Husband dump the contents of his suitcase back into the hamper.

Oh well, A for effort. Maybe I should do laundry more than once a month...

No comments: