Monday, April 6, 2009

The normal one stands alone

It has come to my attention that I might not be weird enough for my new town.

I realized this as I was walking to work donning bunny ears, and no one gave me a second-glance.

In my previous towns, my stunning beauty red hair was enough to make me stand out. I was always used to people recognizing me, but alas hair color is not enough (unless it is a color not ordinarily found in nature).

In Madison it is an understood fact that everyone marches to the beat of a different drum. There are so many drums clanging that sometimes you can't even hear yourself think.

There is a quintessential hippie look, it involves grabbing at least 7 clothing items that don't match whatsoever. Also, at least 2 items worn must be handmade by someone who forgoes electricity and soap (by choice).

I am most comfortable in jeans and a tee shirt. However, I guess I need to pair that with a skirt (over my jeans of course), halter top, and homemade hat...

Of course, since everyone is "different" then technically that's the "norm". So aren't I being different by being so normal???

No comments: