Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I'm Learning So Much

from LeVar Burton. Let me preface:

I've always tried really hard not to live beyond my means. This means no iphones, no netflix, no tivo. We don't even have our own internet, we're "borrowing" it.
It sucks. Especially at the current moment, since we've been using an analog signal to receive 6 glorious channels, but since February have been reduced to a mere 2.

Due to my job, my weekends are on Tuesday and Wednesday. Not sure if any of you employed people realize how crappy daytime tv is, but it's super horrid when you only get two choices. Ours consist of Fox and PBS.

The Fox affiliate here, in their infinite wisdom, has decided that 6 hours of nonstop court tv shows is exactly the uplifting programing it's viewers need (Sometimes I get sucked into watching them, but it just makes me depressed and vow never to bring children in this world).

So, my only option is pbs. Although at this point, i feel the need to point out i watch a lot of tv on the internet. However, sometimes I don't feel like squinting at a 13" monitor, so i just leave the tv on in the background while i try to catch-up chores.

It's been a good 15+ years since I truly watched PBS, and some things haven't changed. LeVar Burton is still hosting Reading Rainbow, and telling me that "I can fly anywhere". Of course, it's still the exact same episodes from when we were children originally aired in 1987. That way, he's as timeless as Dick Clark. [sidenote: I cannot tell you how desperate I was to be one of the kids that said, "to find out how this book ends, visit your local library." But alas, fame was never my destiny]

However, I've caught myself watching a couple shows during my alleged cleaning time. And there are a few worth mentioning. (I'm trying to make my blog unique, how many of you have a review of publicly funded programs?)



Martha Speaks: a fascinating tale about a dog who eats alphabet soup, and the letters get sent to her brain instead of her stomach, and all the sudden she can talk. (who comes up with this stuff? I bet the husband wishes there was a soup that could make me stop talking)







Word Girl: the drawings remind me of shows from cartoon network, but with a kicky educational edge. With the help of her monkey sidekick, she is able to fight the evil sandwich guy (who's head is shaped like a sandwich, mmm)





And Finally, FETCH! with Ruff Ruffman

Where the hell was this show when I was a kid? It's awesome! If I were a kid, I would watch this everyday. Who am I kidding? I'm 25, and have watched at least 4 episodes. It combines animation and reality tv. Kids compete in adventures to win crappy prizes. it's great (seriously).






Of course, odds are that the lack of options have caused my standards to be lowered so much that the black and white static has appeared entertaining. Fortunately for all of us, I am losening the purse strings just a little for John's upcoming birthday. Since he reads this I can't tell you what it is, but I can tell you that I probably won't be watching pbs kids much longer... except for Fetch! of course

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow, you really need Netflix.

Shellbell said...

so true!!