Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Schnow Day.

Well, it's official. The world has shut down in Wisconsin. The snow looks glorious, but the blizzard advisory & 40mph winds are not as fun.

The powder is too fine to make a snowman with, it won't compact very well, but these IS something that this snow is perfect for: Snow Cream!

I have learned some very troubling information this past week. No one in Madison seems to know what snow cream is!

Everyone at work looked at me like I was crazy when I started describing it. Understandably upset by this, I went home and told Husband about this troubling revelation.

Me: You're NOT going to believe this! No one here has ever heard of snowcream!
Husband: What's snowcream?

GAH! Are you KIDDING me?!?!

I am VERY troubled by this, I mean, you guys reading this have heard of snow cream, right? RIGHT??

In case you haven't, I am going to rid you of your ignorance here and now:

Snow Cream is a delicious icecream-like substance made of fresh snow.

You take a bowl of fresh snow and add a little sugar, vanilla, and milk. You stir it up to a blended creamy consistency, and then enjoy to your hearts content!

As a child, snow cream went hand-in-hand with building a snowman, making snow angels, throwing snow balls, etc. It was just what you did when it snowed. No ifs ands or buts.

Actually, that's not true. The one exception was if you couldn't find any clean looking snow. I mean, you obviously don't want to be picking pine needles, leaves, and whatnot out of your wintery treat. Most kids preferred the snow from the hood of the car, but if you're a freak (like me) you would set out a mixing bowl the night before to collect all the uncontaminated fresh powder*

My original intention was to find a youtube video to properly educate you all. But as we know, most instructional youtube vidoes are made by crazies. They were all horribly annoying, and i do not wish to subject you to them. Fortunately, like any good youtube adventure i got distracted and am now able to bring you this video instead. enjoy!



and you can click here if you actually want to watch the terrible video recipe.

And, one final gift i will provide you. To say that i lived in a super fun house during college would be putting it mildly. There never seemed to be fewer than 8 people in our house at a time, and there was always something going on.

During my sophomore year, UT closed for snow for the 1st time in decades, and everyone celebrated joyously. My roomates decided to make snow cream, but they decided just making snow cream wouldn't be special enough. No, they needed to wear special outfits whilst making it. Please enjoy the following, and beware what you are about to observe is magical, and once you see it, there's no going back to the life you knew before.



My favorite part about this photo is that i am in the front, bending down, trying to hide the fact that i live here/ know these people.

However, the outfits must have worked. The snow cream was delicious.


* i mean relatively uncontaminated... The snow was still probably cousins with acid rain.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I have known you for almost 15 years and I have never heard of snow cream either. Too many dogs piss all over my patch of grass, so I will just have to take your word for it that it's amazing.

amber said...

I have never heard of snow cream either, but I feel like I have really missed out on something.

I grew up on a farm and so we had a lot of snow that was not contaminated. My mom used to scoop up good, clean snow in a bowl for me and I would eat it up.