Thursday, April 14, 2011

c25k

I've been doing the Couch to 5k- a training program that ideally changes lazy-admirers like me into runners. In nine weeks, you should go from a non-runner, to successfully running a 5k.

I'm not an athlete, but the idea of running a 5k has always appealed to me. I might not enjoy running, but i do enjoy teeshirts. So signing up for a 5k seems like the perfect way to fuel my addiction.

I've been doing it for 6 weeks. In theory, i should be 2/3 of the way done, but i'm not.

Not even close.

Turns out, i am terrible at running. I mean, awful. When you start this program, you think: "i only have to run for 60 seconds. Even i can do that!"
But for me, it's not true. I'm must have missed a very essential day in P.E. where we were taught how to run.

Here's how my workout has broken down:
(realtime:workout)
  • week 1: week 1
  • week 2: skipped (out of town)
  • week 3: week 2....poorly
  • week 4: repeat week 2....slightly better
  • week 5: week 3....poorly
  • week 6: repeat week 3, but outside!
At this rate, i'll hopefully be done with the 2 month program before 2011 ends.

But i recently learned that i prefer running outside. Who knew? I mean, granted my "run" is probably slower than an average person's "walk", but... it's babysteps* people!

I'll keep you posted on how i do...but i'm pretty sure that by the time i'm finished the internet will have been replaced by cooler technology, so i'm not sure how i'll contact you; but we'll cross that bridge when i run across it!

*which, ironically, is a very accurate description of what my run looks like.

2 comments:

Abby said...

Maybe you should come run with me - it'd make you feel SO much better about yourself!

Abby said...

Of course - that suggestion would have been a little bit more attainable if you lived in the same state as me, which is the case for the girl whose blog I THOUGHT I was reading up until after I posted my comment and saw your blog's name on the screen. :D