Wednesday, February 10, 2010

This Old House.

(I really will post a vacation recap someday. I promise i will)

This week, I was looking for a distraction. I was coming off my vacation high, dreading the upcoming week (and impending unemployment boredom), and decided i needed a project.

viola! I know, i'll rearranging my apartment.

I really haven't been happy with the layout. Given that it's a small space to begin with, my furniture placement wasn't helping any.

So i came up with a plan. and i love it. I can picture it in my head. It will make the living room much bigger, and I'll even have space to add a comfy chair and ottoman. (btw, i am looking for one on the cheap, let me know if you have one you want to be rid of)

I began monday morning. I was eager and ready. i just knew it would only take me a day...

First of all, i had no idea i had so many roomates. Every piece of furniture i moved i found a colony of little dust bunnies.
So now my rearranging project also has a cleaning subproject attached.

Then, as i am cleaning and moving, i realize i need a place to put everything. and the only way everything will have a place, is if i get rid of some stuff.
So now my rearranging/cleaning project has a declutter purge attached.

Needless to say, it is day 3 and i am maybe halfway done.

I'm giving myself until Friday. That's my deadline to get all this finished. As much as i love the company, dust bunnies, you gots to go.

And finally, i realized that a new furniture placements means i will need to rearrange the decorations too. Pictures need to be rehung, and such.

i have no idea how i ever got these up in the first place!
Apparently, my super old apartment = super thick plaster walls.
Super thick plaster walls, which now do a great impression of swiss cheese.

Everytime i try to hammer a nail in, it refuses to move, but giant chunks of walls chip off instead.

Where i put my table, i tried to put a large painting. By the 8th attempt, i realized i wanted to hang it in a way that it would cover all the gaping holes i had just made.

i finally got the nail in, hung the painting, and stepped back to appreciate my handy-work.
it's about 12" too high, and 4" too far to the right :)



but screw it. it's up. that's as good as you're going to get from me.

check back with me on friday, and see if i kept my word and finished by then.

1 comment:

brenda Fisher said...

like what i see so far!